Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Approved, again

Today I was up for my annual medical check at Dominion Health Care in Edmonton. Dr. Amarjit Singh Narula is the family-physician, neatly bearded including a beardnet (or whatever it is called) which goes off when on the job, I guess.
'Good morning, how are you today?'..'Please sit on the table'..'Say aaah'; "AAAAAH", 'Look left'..'Look right' for checking the ears; 'Left arm'..'Right arm' for blood pressure, which is just a tiny little bit over the limit; 'Lie down'..at least his hands are warm while checking the nuts. 'OK, sock off'..checking my ankles for plaque-buildup; Tjak.....there it is: THE GLOVE. I had seen a box full at the table including a large tube of some kind of lubricant. Oh Oh. 'You're over 50 so on your side'..Not very pleasant when a guy is doing that to you, butt the prostate is very much okay. No laboratory tests today, the lastest showed excellent results. Medication is being adjusted slightly, back in 6 weeks to check. In the meantime Narula is updating his file, while I'm sitting almost butt-naked waiting for the next exam. 'You may dress up now' he says as I'm studying the walls, ceiling and medical equipment, again. Or is it because I start to look at his every move? Finally, I was starting to feel un-easy.
Also the "please" is gone, used here in front or at the end of (almost) any request. He is friendly but without the please, and that annoys me. Almost 50% of the consultation/examination is consumed with reading and updating my digital medical file. He sure has learned how to type, one hand operates the left-shift-key while the other is used for the remaining key-strokes. Efficient. Where did I see that before? It gets the job done though, and as health care is free of charge I don't mind.

No comments: