Search This Blog

Friday, October 30, 2009

100% Occlusion

I was flipping thru my photo database when I came across pictures that opened up my 100% blocked coronary artery back in 2004. Actually pretty cool, left frame blocked, right frame open again and the start of a new life, as it turned out later. The small frame shows the balloon that did the trick. The procedure is called PTCA (Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty). Unfortunately I do not have a picture of the stent that has been placed. I definitely DO NOT want this happening ever again, but the sensation of the restoration of bloodflow felt really good. All of a sudden my head turned really hot; just before he said "Succes Marco, its open".
This event, better wake-up call or smacking into a concrete wall head on, triggered a new look on life for me. It made me realize there is more to life than work, and if you are open to change it will happen and that one opportunity will come. There are a lot of reasons for us having made the move to go Canada, this is not the start but it's a big part of it all, for me anyways. They were very surprised when I asked for the pictures, it's not standard procedure "but I will see what I can do" the friendly PTCA nurse of section E4 said. Before I left the hospital, the next day, I had the CD and a huge hemorrhage on my right upper leg. That grew even larger the next days. That hurt somewhat, poking arround in your heart doesn't. And you can follow the procedure on two large screens. Very Cool.

3 comments:

Marco Schriek said...

PTCA of course is a difficult and interesting word for dottering. Basicly it is nothing more than plumbing. Get the sucker flowing again.

Marco Schriek said...

And yes, I actually do have a heart!

dk said...

had no doubt