Search This Blog

Sunday, April 18, 2010

For The Chainsaw, By The Chainsaw

Snow gone, it's a clear blue sky today and 22 degrees, no weeds growing yet I was cutting wood in our poplar forest when I came across some wooden planks, 1.5"x5.5"x15'. Cutting all those logs, 10-15 feet long, needs a saw horse to cut them into stubs suitable for splitting. So today I fabricated a saw horse out of the wooden planks. Instead of burning them, my initial plan (not possible because of a fire ban almost for all of southern Alberta), I encountered in my first DIY project. And it was completed successfully on a Sunday afternoon. And all cuts were made with my, bought last week, new Stihl MS270 chainsaw. Fortunately Johan knows about chainsaws and all the add ons, oil-fuel-sharpeners, to have a complete package.
In case you're wondering about the chains: they are my log locking devices; so I can cut both ends of the log, if loaded symmetrical, without the log tipping over. The trestle is wide enough to ensure stability, although the work-points and work-planes are not as they should be, but hey it's only a wood-log-cutting-saw horse. See how environmentally friendly I am!!! Re-use of materials and an afternoon fun earns me a beer, preferably Rickard's Red. Very good tasting.

2 comments:

Joke Oldenburger said...

and ofcourse an elephant can do no harm to it!!!!

Marco Schriek said...

But a chainsaw can!!!!! :-)