Search This Blog

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Done Felling-Logging-Splitting

At last we are done cutting down trees, stumping and splitting them up and making nice stacks of firewood. All in all we have been real busy the last 7-8 weeks, as seen in previous posts. Today I finished the last stack of logs, not high quality wood, we cleaned out our little forrest, but it will generate heat and warmth in winters to come. To cut up the log in the photo you will need this chainsaw. Would be a nice Sunday afternoon job, to be rewarded with a Moose Head beer. We now have 7.3 cord of split and stacked firewood. This equals to about 26 cubic meter, it would cover the backyard of our old home at the Duikerlaan 90 cm high.
You must be thinking they have their new woodstove up and running. Wrong. For the last 4 weeks I'm trying to get a hearth pad, a aluminum checkered plate 55" by 55" by 1/4" thick. Should be easy as I work for a big steel fabricator. Wrong again. For some reason it seems impossible to get that plate. Fed up with the situation I asked someone else to get me a simple 55" by 55" by 3/16" ordinary steel plate. Yes you quessed correct, no results. So what to do? Buy one for 500 bucks? Maybe I will end up doing that. But for the now I'm patient. Really? No but I need to, do not want to spent 500 bucks on something that is almost for free. And we need it for the insurance (photo proof is required) and the county inspector to approve the building permit. It's not one of my best virtues, patience, but I'm integrating nicely here in Canada. You need to be patient here otherwise life is difficult.

No comments: