Search This Blog

Monday, September 14, 2009

End of Summer Rockies Weekend

At last we could plan a trip to the Rockies, Joka had a weekend off. We decided to go to Jasper and use our little iglo-tent. Probably it would be cold and cold it was in the morning. We woke up at 7:15 due to the cold and some squirrels throwing pinecones onto our tent and of course I needed to use the restroom. I put on my flipflops, shorts and t-shirt thinking the sun would warm me up. I sat at our table for a while and after a couple of minutes I realized I was being stupid. Jeans, socks, proper shoes and a hoody soon found their way onto me. Still my head was cold and a woolen hat complemented my outfit, always be prepared for the cold in Canada. After cleaning up and packing my hands were so cold I had to put on gloves; I was not alowed to come near to my beloved Joka. Don't know why! In Jasper it was nice and warm again and we had breakfast at the "Soft Rock Cafe". Pretty good and tasty. We were wondering what people thought of us, while we were making comments, between ourselves, on almost everybody in the establishment. If you don't like what you see, just look the other way is my moto nowadays, makes life much easier.
Onward (also a nice Yes-song on the Tormato album) we went on the Icefields Parkway to the shrinking Athabasca Glacier. We decided that we would go see the Rockies every season, after all we live close by now. I especially want to see the Athabasca river during spring coping with meltwater collected from the mountains. The waterfalls must be brutal by then. Fall must be awesome too, with all the colourings. I think we have to go soon to observe fall, its approaching rapidly. In winter we will go to the hot-springs, this weekend it was too hot, close to 30 degrees, we decided and checking out the campground we felt the woods closing in on us a bit; too dense and too small campsites.

No comments: